Immigration Law News

News and current events related to immigration law.

Green Cards

What To Do If You are in the United States and Married to A United States Citizen

If an individual is inside the United States and is married to a United States Citizen then they may be eligible to apply for lawful permanent resident status, commonly known as a green card. The process of going from a non-immigrant status to that of a lawful permanent resident is known as “adjustment of status.” […]


Overview of Employment-Based Lawful Permanent Resident Status (Green Card) Application Process

One of the most common ways to obtain U.S. lawful permanent resident status (commonly known as a green card) is through employment. Generally, a United States employer can sponsor a foreign national for a green card if it is found that no US worker is able, willing, qualified and available to perform the work that […]


Which Family Members Can You Petition To Immigrate To The United States

I met with someone recently who was a lawful permanent resident and told me he wanted to become a United States citizen so he could petition to bring his minor children, who were overseas, to the United States. He was married to a United States Citizen and he never knew that his United States Citizen […]


Current Form I-485, Adjustment of Status (Green Card) Application, Processing Times in Detroit, Michigan

The current processing time for most family-based adjustment of status applications that I am assisting clients with is around 3 months. What this means is that if you reside in Michigan and apply for lawful permanent resident status/green card (e.g., you marry a US citizen), I am seeing that it is only taking around 3 […]